Beware of gifts
- "Have ye not known? have ye not heard? hath it not been told you from the beginning? have ye not understood from the foundations of the earth?" Isaiah 40:21
There are gifts of God and man.
- Plutarch said “The real destroyers of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits.”
But Proverbs 19:6 tells us the same thing, "Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man [is] a friend to him that giveth gifts."
- Polybius said "The masses continue with an appetite for benefits and the habit of receiving them by way of a rule of force and violence. The people, having grown accustomed to feed at the expense of others and to depend for their livelihood on the property of others... institute the rule of violence; and now uniting their forces massacre, banish, and plunder, until they degenerate again into perfect savages and find once more a master and monarch."
This rule of violence and plunder is the same we hear about in Matthew 11:12 "And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force." and in Luke 16:16 "The law and the prophets [were] until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it." The Repentance associated with the act of Baptism was turning away from these Covetous systems of the Welfare of the World and going back to The Way of Fervent Charity with the Eucharist of Christ.
"He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live." Proverbs 15:27
The Paul the Apostle wrote to a number of Early Christian communities in Galatia, "For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another." Galatians 5:13-15
When Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 8:9 "But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak." the word "liberty" is the same word Paul uses in Romans 13.
Have we lost that liberty granted by God by neglecting our natural and moral responsibility that is correlative to those God given rights?
Eyes full of adultery
Peter made it clear in 2 Peter 2:3, "And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not."
Peter not only warned us that desiring benefits at the expense of others would make us human resources what he calls merchandise but he warned us in 2 Peter 2:14 about those covetous practices entangling them back in the yoke of bondage and cursing our children:
- "Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:" 2 Peter 2:14
This stumblingblock was that we would learn to eat at tables set with the bounty of the compelled sacrifices of institutions made by men who called themselves Benefactors that ruled over the people with and exercising authority and is explained in Revelation 2:14 "But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication."
Proverbs 23 warns us about the table of men who exercise authority one over the other "When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what [is] before thee: And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat."
What are these benefits today?
Those benefits include everything from Public Schools to Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards which is an electronic system that allows state welfare departments to issue benefits via a magnetically encoded payment card, used in the United States and the United Kingdom like Rome did with their Tesserae of the Beast of Revelation?
We were told by God in Exodus 20:17 "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s."
Jesus warned us of the evil of covetousness and where it comes from in Mark 7:20-23, "...That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."
These are the things he called us to repent of in Matthew 4:17 when he first "... began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." and in Mark 1:15 when He said "... The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." but warned us in Luke 13:3 that "... except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
Jesus told us not to look to Benefactors who exercise authority one over the other.
He told us not to pray to Fathers of the earth but only our Father who is in Heaven.
He told us to keep the commandments including the one about not coveting anything that is our neighbors if we want Eternal life. And when 1 John 2 talked about the "propitiation for our sins", he reminded us that "... hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked."
Real Christians would not desire the benefits of men who call themselves Benefactors nor pray to the Fathers of the earth like Modern Christians do. They would be led to gather together in a living Network that provided a Daily ministration of Charity for one another according to the Perfect law of liberty. They would strive to keep His commandments by being Doers of His word in a Living Network of Love.
Israel in the Bondage of Egypt were literally employed by the Pharaoh who provided free bread like the Romans in the form of Public Welfare which was Public religion. They had to pay their tale of bricks to the Pharaoh but learn to gleen in the field at night to obtain their benefits. This is why God hardened the heart of the Pharaoh during the plagues so they could learn The Way of God. So it was not enough to stop taking the benefits but they needed to learn to provide them by faith, hope and charity through a system of Corban that made the word of God to effect.
Jesus said nothing different to the early Church. When he said give to Caesar what is Caesar and to God what is God's he was saying pay your tale of bricks. He even warned to be friends with the unrighteous Mammon explaining that it would fail. Those who cheat one master you will likely cheat the next.
We are in bondage because of Covetous Practices and Slothfulness. We are devoured because we or our natural parents took bites out of one another in these Covetous Practices which made us a Surety for debt in an unrighteous Mammon... We must Repent and seek the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness.
- Where and what is true Christian fellowship?
- Where and what is the true Eucharist of Christ?
- Where and what is the Living Network of the faithful?
- Where and what is the Communion of Saints?
- Where and how do the people practice Pure Religion?
- Where and who are the people that attend to the Weightier matters?
Gifts and rewards
There are lots of gifts mentioned in the Bible. Are they good or bad and should we always take a gift?
Proverbs 15:27 He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts <04979> shall live.
Here we are told that if we hate gift we should live. The word is a Hebrew word mattanahwhich is almost always translated "gift".
The first time it is used is in Genesis 25:6 "But unto the sons of the concubines, which Abraham had, Abraham gave gifts <mattanah>, and sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, unto the east country."
These gifts are like benefits that are given to someone to help and support them rather than just please them. The word mattanah with a letter Hey on the end is from the word mattan which only appears 5 times in the Bible. These gifts seem to be something extra often to earn the favor or appreciation of someone.
The word mattanah in Exodus 28:38 includes "holy gifts" or consecrated items given to Aaron that are always on his mind. Aaron performed a certain role of judgement in society and was said to bear the "iniquity" of these gifts. That word for "iniquity" may also refer to the " consequence of" or burden that comes with the responsibility for something.
We see the word mattanah listed with freewill offerings and vows and offerings at festivals as an additional gift in Leviticus 23:38<Rf>Leviticus 23:38 Beside the sabbaths of the LORD, and beside your gifts <04979>, and beside all your vows, and beside all your freewill offerings, which ye give unto the LORD.</Ref>
Offerings were like gifts to support these priests that provided that "service... of the congregation"
Normally the word mattanah is a good thing concerned with sharing and giving but as we see in Proverbs 15:27 not "hating" gifts an shorten our life that we might not live. A gift can even destroy the hear according to Ecclesiastes 7:7
According to Ezekiel 20:31 this happens when you make "your sons to pass through the fire". Passing through the fire is a metaphor for offering your sons as a gift. It does not just mean burning them on an altar but turning them over to be the servants of idols which is also mentioned in Ezekiel 20:39
Ezekiel 46:16 "Thus saith the Lord GOD; If the prince give a gift <04979> unto any of his sons, the inheritance thereof shall be his sons’; it shall be their possession by inheritance. 17 But if he give a gift <04979> of his inheritance to one of his servants, then it shall be his to the year of liberty; after it shall return to the prince: but his inheritance shall be his sons’ for them."
There is another word for gifts found in the Bible which is shachad ShemChadDeleth It has to do with bribery. This term could be like the give away entitlements of systems where the vote of the people are bought with the offer of benefits like free school, health care, Social Security, etc..
Where covetous practices rule the hearts of the people there can be no liberty.
"And thou shalt take no gift <07810>: for the gift <07810> blindeth the wise, and perverteth the words of the righteous." Exodus 23:8
"Thou shalt not wrest judgment; thou shalt not respect persons, neither take a gift <07810>: for a gift <07810> doth blind the eyes of the wise, and pervert the words of the righteous." Deuteronomy 16:19
"Cursed be he that taketh reward <07810> to slay an innocent person. And all the people shall say, Amen." Deuteronomy 27:25
"For the congregation of hypocrites [shall be] desolate, and fire shall consume the tabernacles of bribery." Job 15:34
"A wicked [man] taketh a gift out of the bosom to pervert the ways of judgment." Proverbs 17:23
Isaiah 1:23 Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts <07810>, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.
Isaiah 5:23 Which justify the wicked for reward <07810>, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!
Isaiah 33:15 He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes <07810>, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;
Isaiah 45:13 I have raised him up in righteousness, and I will direct all his ways: he shall build my city, and he shall let go my captives, not for price nor reward <07810>, saith the LORD of hosts.
Ezekiel 22:12 In thee have they taken gifts <07810> to shed blood; thou hast taken usury and increase, and thou hast greedily gained of thy neighbours by extortion, and hast forgotten me, saith the Lord GOD.
Micah 3:11 The heads thereof judge for reward <07810>, and the priests thereof teach for hire, and the prophets thereof divine for money: yet will they lean upon the LORD, and say, Is not the LORD among us? none evil can come upon us.
Pharisees | Sadducees | Zealot | Essenes | Levites |
Messianic Judaism | Menahem the Essene | Sanhedrin |
Altars | Clay and Stone | Red Heifer | Golden calf |
Freewill offerings | Religion | Pure Religion | Public religion |
Christian conflict | Paganism | Denominations | Dispensationalism |
Benefactors | Corban | Daily ministration | Calendars |
Strong delusion |
Golden calf |
Red Heifer |
The Allegories of the Sacred Laws by Philo Judaeus | Priests |
Altars | Clay and Stone | Stones | Stoning | Sabbath | Canaan
Breeches | Cloths of service | Wedding garment | Fringes |
Calendars | One purse | Fathers | Peaceful invasion of Canaan | Trees |
- Samuel Adams, Our Sacred Honor, Bennett, 217, 1779 - letter to James Warren.
- Isaiah 1:23 Thy princes [are] rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.
- Psalms 33:10 The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect.
- Matthew 15:6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.
- Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.
- Isaiah 40:23 That bringeth the princes to nothing; he maketh the judges of the earth as vanity.
- Ephesians 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men....Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; 12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
- Isaiah 40:27 "Why sayest thou, O Jacob, and speakest, O Israel, My way is hid from the LORD, and my judgment is passed over from my God? 28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding. 29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength."
- We have an altar, whereof they have no right <exousia> to eat which serve the tabernacle.
- Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right <exousia> to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
- Luke 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
- 04979 ^הנתמ^ mattanah \@mat-taw-naw’\@ from 04976; n f; AV-gifts 16, as he is able 1; 17 1) gift
- 04976 ^ןתמ^ mattan \@mat-tawn’\@ from 05414; n m; AV-gift 5; 5 1) gifts, offerings, presents
- : Genesis 34:12 Ask me never so much dowry and gift <04976>, and I will give according as ye shall say unto me: but give me the damsel to wife.
- Numbers 18:11 And this is thine; the heave offering of their gift <04976>, with all the wave offerings of the children of Israel: I have given them unto thee, and to thy sons and to thy daughters with thee, by a statute for ever: every one that is clean in thy house shall eat of it.
- Proverbs 18:16 A man’s gift <04976> maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men.
- Proverbs 19:6 Many will intreat the favour of the prince: and every man is a friend to him that giveth gifts <04976>.
- Proverbs 21:14 A gift <04976> in secret pacifieth anger: and a reward in the bosom strong wrath.
- Exodus 28:38 And it shall be upon Aaron’s forehead, that Aaron may bear the iniquity of the holy things, which the children of Israel shall hallow in all their holy gifts <04979>; and it shall be always upon his forehead, that they may be accepted before the LORD.
- 05771 ^ןוע^ ‘avon \@aw-vone’\@ or ^ןווע^ ‘avown (#2Ki 7:9; Ps 51:5) \@aw-vone’\@ from AyinVavNun05753 Bend or twist; the verb iniquity; n m; AV-iniquity 220, punishment 5, fault 2, Iniquities + 01697 1, mischief 1, sin 1; 230
- 1) perversity, depravity, iniquity, guilt or punishment of iniquity
- 1a) iniquity
- 1b) guilt of iniquity, guilt (as great), guilt (of condition)
- 1c) consequence of or punishment for iniquity
- 1) perversity, depravity, iniquity, guilt or punishment of iniquity
- Numbers 18:6 And I, behold, I have taken your brethren the Levites from among the children of Israel: to you they are given as a gift <04979> for the LORD, to do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- Exodus 30:16 And thou shalt take the atonement money of the children of Israel, and shalt appoint it for the service of the tabernacle of the congregation; that it may be a memorial unto the children of Israel before the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls.
- Numbers 7:5 Take it of them, that they may be to do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation; and thou shalt give them unto the Levites, to every man according to his service.
- Numbers 8:24 This is it that belongeth unto the Levites: from twenty and five years old and upward they shall go in to wait upon the service of the tabernacle of the congregation:
- Numbers 18:6 And I, behold, I have taken your brethren the Levites from among the children of Israel: to you they are given as a gift for the LORD, to do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- Numbers 18:21 And, behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation.
- Numbers 18:23 But the Levites shall do the service of the tabernacle of the congregation, and they shall bear their iniquity: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations, that among the children of Israel they have no inheritance.
- Numbers 18:7 Therefore thou and thy sons with thee shall keep your priest’s office for every thing of the altar, and within the vail; and ye shall serve: I have given your priest’s office unto you as a service of gift <04979>: and the stranger that cometh nigh shall be put to death. Numbers 18:29 Out of all your gifts <04979> ye shall offer every heave offering of the LORD, of all the best thereof, even the hallowed part thereof out of it.
- 08641 ^המורת^ tᵉruwmah \@ter-oo-maw’\@ or ^המרת^ tᵉrumah TavReshVavMemHey (#De 12:11) \@ter-oo-maw’\@ from 07311; n f; AV-offering 51, oblation 19, heave 4, gifts 1, offered 1; 76
- 1) contribution, offering
- 1a) a heave offering
- 1b) any offering
- 1c) an offering to God
- 1d) an offering (of grain, money, etc)
- 1e) contribution
- 1) contribution, offering
- 07311 ^םור^ ruwm \@room\@ a primitive root ReishVavMem; v; AV-(lift, hold, etc … ) up 63, exalt 47, high 25, offer 13, give 5, heave 3, extol 3, lofty 3, take 3, tall 3, higher 2, misc 24; 194
- 1) to rise, rise up, be high, be lofty, be exalted
- 1a) (Qal)
- 1a1) to be high, be set on high
- 1a2) to be raised, be uplifted, be exalted
- 1a3) to be lifted, rise
- 1b) (Polel)
- 1b1) to raise or rear (children), cause to grow up
- 1b2) to lift up, raise, exalt
- 1b3) to exalt, extol
- 1c) (Polal) to be lifted up
- 1d) (Hiphil)
- 1d1) to raise, lift, lift up, take up, set up, erect, exalt, set on high
- 1d2) to lift up (and take away), remove
- 1d3) to lift off and present, contribute, offer, contribute
- 1e) (Hophal) to be taken off, be abolished
- 1f) (Hithpolel) to exalt oneself, magnify oneself
- 1a) (Qal)
- 2) (Qal) to be rotten, be wormy
- 1) to rise, rise up, be high, be lofty, be exalted
- Deuteronomy 16:17 Every man shall give as he is able <04979>, according to the blessing of the LORD thy God which he hath given thee.
- 2 Chronicles 21:3 And their father gave them great gifts <04979> of silver, and of gold, and of precious things, with fenced cities in Judah: but the kingdom gave he to Jehoram; because he was the firstborn.
- Esther 9:22 As the days wherein the Jews rested from their enemies, and the month which was turned unto them from sorrow to joy, and from mourning into a good day: that they should make them days of feasting and joy, and of sending portions one to another, and gifts <04979> to the poor.
- Psalms 68:18 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts <04979> for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the LORD God might dwell among them.
- Ecclesiastes 7:7 Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad; and a gift <04979> destroyeth the heart.
- Ezekiel 20:26 And I polluted them in their own gifts <04979>, in that they caused to pass through the fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I am the LORD.
- Ezekiel 20:31 For when ye offer your gifts <04979>, when ye make your sons to pass through the fire, ye pollute yourselves with all your idols, even unto this day: and shall I be enquired of by you, O house of Israel? As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I will not be enquired of by you.
- Ezekiel 20:39 As for you, O house of Israel, thus saith the Lord GOD; Go ye, serve ye every one his idols, and hereafter also, if ye will not hearken unto me: but pollute ye my holy name no more with your gifts <04979>, and with your idols.
- 07810 ^דחשׁ^ shachad \@shakh’- ad\@ from 07809; n m; AV-gift 10, reward 7, bribes 3, present 2, bribery 1; 23
- 1) present, bribe