The word Apostolos is from the Greek word apostello meaning to send, to order (one) to go to a place appointed. An ambassador from Greece would be called an Apostolos and certainly the Apostle were ambassadors from the kingdom of God to the world. It appears 78 times as apostle but twice as messenger. It could include anyone who is a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders. While it might be "specifically applied to the twelve apostles of Christ" but in a broader sense applied to others who are spiritually sent or delegated by God as prophets or teachers or any task.
The kingdom of God is a government of servants and there are no offices of authority of men over men. But men may delegate authority over things that by their nature and circumstance belong to God.
Were the apostles poor
We addressed the question "Was Jesus rich?" But what about the apostles?
Peter, along with Andrew, John and James, were fishermen.
Fishing was a major occupation for Galileans but a poor fisherman would only have a net. That does not seem to be the case with the apostles. They had a large boat and nets that required several men to manage. They seem to have more than one boat. . Peter also had a large house and he had a family. These would make him upper middle class at that time.
Tax collectors were well off. They needed to have considerable education and specific training and needed to be trustworthy from an honorable family. Matthew was a tax collector.
Luke was an educated healer or what we might call a doctor. Luke 8:3
Besides being a disciple of Jesus and providing a tomb for the body of Jesus, according to the Talmud, Joseph of Arimathea was the younger brother of Joachim the father of Mary and therefore Jesus' Great uncle. Joseph of Arimathea, son of Matthat (Mathat) ben Levi of Arimathea, was also the "Nobilis Decurio" (Minister of Mines) of the Roman Empire, among other titles, as stated by Jerome and earlier sources. This would have meant he was charged with overseeing the mining operations of the Roman Empire and would have been one of the richest men in the known world. The Patriarch of Constantinople wrote that Joseph was one of the Seventy Apostles appointed in Luke 10. While he was a member of the original Sanhedrin Jesus as king could appoint his own Sanhedrin.
Paul the Apostle came from an area where tent making was a major trade. His Father was wealthy enough to provide him with the best education and his stepfather was also wealthy and a prominent man in Rome. He joined Aquila and Priscilla in a tent-making enterprise which more than likely provided employment for many people because he was of “the same trade” (Acts 18:1–3).
- Matthew 10:2 Now the names of the twelve apostles <652> are these; The first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother;
- Mark 6:30 And the apostles <652> gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things, both what they had done, and what they had taught.
- Luke 6:13 And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles <652>;
- Luke 9:10 And the apostles <652>, when they were returned, told him all that they had done. And he took them, and went aside privately into a desert place belonging to the city called Bethsaida.
- Luke 11:49 Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles <652>, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
- Luke 17:5 And the apostles <652> said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
- Luke 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles <652> with him.
- Luke 24:10 It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles <652>.
- John 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent <652> greater than he that sent him.
- Acts 1:2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles <652> whom he had chosen:
- Acts 1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles <652>.
- Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles <652>, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
- Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles <652>’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
- Acts 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles <652>.
- Acts 4:33 And with great power gave the apostles <652> witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
- Acts 4:35 And laid them down at the apostles <652>’ feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.
- Acts 4:36 And Joses, who by the apostles <652> was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus,
- Acts 4:37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles <652>’ feet.
- Acts 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles <652>’ feet.
- Acts 5:12 And by the hands of the apostles <652> were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon’s porch.
- Acts 5:18 And laid their hands on the apostles <652>, and put them in the common prison.
- Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles <652> answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
- Acts 5:34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles <652> forth a little space;
- Acts 5:40 And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles <652>, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.
- Acts 6:6 Whom they set before the apostles <652>: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.
- Acts 8:1 And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles <652>.
- Acts 8:14 Now when the apostles <652> which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
- Acts 8:18 And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles <652>’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
- Acts 9:27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles <652>, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how he had preached boldly at Damascus in the name of Jesus.
- Acts 11:1 And the apostles <652> and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
- Acts 14:4 But the multitude of the city was divided: and part held with the Jews, and part with the apostles <652>.
- Acts 14:14 Which when the apostles <652>, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,
- Acts 15:2 When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles <652> and elders about this question.
- Acts 15:4 And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles <652> and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.
- Acts 15:6 And the apostles <652> and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
- Acts 15:22 Then pleased it the apostles <652> and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
- Acts 15:23 And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles <652> and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
- Acts 15:33 And after they had tarried there a space, they were let go in peace from the brethren unto the apostles <652>.
- Acts 16:4 And as they went through the cities, they delivered them the decrees for to keep, that were ordained of the apostles <652> and elders which were at Jerusalem.
- Romans 1:1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle <652>, separated unto the gospel of God,
- Romans 11:13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle <652> of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
- Romans 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles <652>, who also were in Christ before me.
- 1 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, called to be an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,
- 1 Corinthians 4:9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles <652> last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.
- 1 Corinthians 9:1 Am I not an apostle <652>? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?
- 1 Corinthians 9:2 If I be not an apostle <652> unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles <652>, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?
- 1 Corinthians 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles <652>, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
- 1 Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles <652>? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
- 1 Corinthians 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles <652>.
- 1 Corinthians 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles <652>, that am not meet to be called an apostle <652>, because I persecuted the church of God.
- 2 Corinthians 1:1 Paul, an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:
- 2 Corinthians 8:23 Whether any do enquire of Titus, he is my partner and fellowhelper concerning you: or our brethren be enquired of, they are the messengers <652> of the churches, and the glory of Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 11:5 For I suppose I was not a whit behind the very chiefest apostles <652>.
- 2 Corinthians 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles <652> of Christ.
- 2 Corinthians 12:11 I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles <652>, though I be nothing.
- 2 Corinthians 12:12 Truly the signs of an apostle <652> were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds.
- Galatians 1:1 Paul, an apostle <652>, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
- Galatians 1:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles <652> before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
- Galatians 1:19 But other of the apostles <652> saw I none, save James the Lord’s brother.
- Ephesians 1:1 Paul, an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
- Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles <652> and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
- Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles <652> and prophets by the Spirit;
- Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles <652>; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
- Philippians 2:25 Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger <652>, and he that ministered to my wants.
- Colossians 1:1 Paul, an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
- 1 Thessalonians 2:6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor yet of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles <652> of Christ.
- 1 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope;
- 1 Timothy 2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle <652>, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
- 2 Timothy 1:1 Paul, an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
- 2 Timothy 1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle <652>, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
- Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;
- Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle <652> and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
- 1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
- 2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle <652> of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
- 2 Peter 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles <652> of the Lord and Saviour:
- Jude 1:17 But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles <652> of our Lord Jesus Christ;
- Revelation 2:2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles <652>, and are not, and hast found them liars:
- Revelation 18:20 Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles <652> and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her.
- Revelation 21:14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles <652> of the Lamb.
Early non Bible authors
Athenagoras of Athens | Methodius of Olympus | The Gospel of Thomas |
Hippolytus of Rome | Justin the Martyr | Jerome | Augustine of Hippo |
Epistle of Mathetes |
Philo Judaeus or Philo of Alexandria and The Allegories of the Sacred Laws
People in the Bible
Paul the Apostle | Melchizedek | Moses | Cain | Caesar | Herod | Jesus |
John the Baptist | Nimrod | Abraham | Essenes |
Buddha | Celsus | Constantine | Eusebius | Marcus Tullius Cicero | Augustine of Canterbury |
Ambrose | Lady Godiva | Plutarch | Polybius | Seneca | Tacitus | Vespian | Manichaeism | John Wycliffe |
Titular Servants |
ordain | appoint | Orders | Religious Orders | Rules of St Benedict |
Married Monks | Mendicant | Lost Monks | Monasticism | Modern Monastic life |
Churches | Levites | Vow of poverty | All things common | Guidelines |
Liturgy | Priests | Eucharist | Daily ministration | Christian conflict |
Diocletianic Persecution | Altars | Fringes | Breeches | Red heifer | Sabbath |
Join The Living Network of The Companies of Ten
The Living Network | Join Local group | About | Purpose | Guidelines | Network Removal
Contact Minister | Fractal Network | Audacity of Hope | Network Links
- Luke 5:6-7
- Mark 1:29–30
- Matthew 9:9
- Colossians 4:14
- Matthew 27:57 ¶ When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus’ disciple:
- Son of Matthat Son of Levi ben Melchi and Esthra / Estha
- Husband of Anna bat Simon, of Arimathea and Alyuba bat Eléazar
- Father of bet Joseph
- Brother of Saint Joachim and Bianca
- Half brother of JoAnna of Arimathea; Heli ben Matat and Gjora
- George F. Jowett, "The Drama of the Lost Disciples", (p.18). The "Harlein Manuscripts" (38-59f, 1936) appears to support this claims.
To read more go to "His Holy Church" (HHC) http://www.hisholychurch.org/